I love how different species pal up with each other. For instance when the magpie was a baby she was in a space next to the baby rook on the dining room table and within moments squeezed through the bars and sat next to the rook.
And Geoffrey the rooster who grew up with this duck - follows the duck where ever it goes and you can be sure that if the duck has broken into the poly tunnel - Geoffrey is there too.
Rocket sadly doesn't have a mutual friend (though sometimes he and Lenny the greyhound exchange e mails)- he tolerates Nancy and lives by the saying a dog is a man's best friend so he probably assumes I'm his friend.
Nancy however says that on occasions Rocket could be considered a friend.
The Ghost Pocket morphs into our conversation .
You will never be happy if you continue to search for what happiness consists of. You will never live if you are looking for the meaning of life.
he says re-arranging his ears and staring at the mirror.
Albert Camus said that I tell him.
Bertie and I are great friends he informs me. He was a French philosopher, novelist, author,world federalist and political activist.
The Ghost Pocket continues trying to find his reflexion in the mirror as he speaks.
Did you know he says changing the subject that Odysseus built a giant wooden cat and filled it with the best warrior rats who when they entered the city of Troy ate all the cheeses leading to the city's destruction.
Actually it was a giant wooden horse I tell him.
Bah he replies - I should know because Homer and I are practically joined at the hip and Homie was an ancient Greek poet who is widely credited as the author of the Iliad and the Odyssey two epic poems that are foundational works of ancient Greek literature.
He changed it to a horse later as they didn't get on with the Egyptians who as you know worshipped us cats.
What does he think of the new film - Odysseus? I ask.
The Ghost Pocket frowns. Oh we don't talk about the talking picture he says - we only discuss books - proper literature not celluloid.
How’s it going with the ghost writing? I ask the Ghost Pocket instead.
It’s going great guns – he replies giving up on the mirror remember thrice the brindled cat hath mewed ... he smirked.
I’ve done some re-writes for my friend Will Wagglespeare He’s re-written something called Hamlet and he wanted a memorable quote from it so I’ve suggested
Tabby or not tabby – that is the question …..
Along with thousands of other authors I’m waiting to see if the money accrued from the financial settlement with Anthropic for using my book The Dog Ray (also published in USA) to teach AI how to write a children’s book - will actually appear in my bank. Although I never actually wrote it for children it was published as so. The Dog Ray is about a girl who dies in a car crash and comes back to Earth as a dog – though still retaining the knowledge of her twelve year old self. Wonder what AI will come up with. Perhaps it'll be about a dog who dies in a car crash and comes back as a girl ......
The village fete
They walked to the fete with jangling pockets.
Carter dragged his whippet round the ring
but did not win best in show.
Johnboy threw the wellie into the football net
it took two men to untangle it.
Jack’s sister sold her old hairbands on the bric a brac stall
their cousin Keith knocked over coconuts with a cricket ball.
Mr Bundy won the largest onion
as well as the longest runner beans
Mrs Fry’s flapjacks won second prize
Mrs Hicks won the cup for her pickles.
Sally Fink’s daughter made a fudge monster
which Carter’s whippet ate before it was judged.
They ran out of hot dogs and the beer
became too warm to drink.
Jessica Brown cried when she didn’t win
the miniature garden on a plate
but later was allowed to watch TV and stay up late.
The hawk in the bird of prey display
flew off across the fields
and wasn’t found until the sun went down.
Linda Coggin
from Small Talk





No comments:
Post a Comment