Monday 30 November 2020

and so farewell noa

 

there's been an accident on the homestead.
I don't usually write about personal things but Noa has been so much part of my blog posts that I have to report that last week in her excitement she managed to uproot me and fell me to the ground causing my leg and hip to break. The accident has also broken my heart as we have decided that she should be homed with a new family as it will be a time before I can walk her properly again and give her the care and attention she needs. We have lived with wolfhounds for nearly twenty years and I've never been able to imagine life without one. Now I will have to. As fortune will have it she has gone to live with one of her sisters in a loving family. I am grateful that Deb has opened her arms to her and reported that Noa and her sister adore each other.


Friends and family have been amazing - after all I left behind two horses, two dogs, two cats, a one eye rook and thirteen ducks all to be cared for.



Just before the accident I was working at the wildlife hospital where this adorable badger was. Of course I'd have been far happier at the wildlife hospital than the real hospital though the care they gave me was incredible. The kindness and patience of the nurses and physios was amazing. If it hadn't have been for their encouragement I wouldn't have been out so quickly and will probably think of them now for the rest of life everytime I walk up and down stairs.



Imagine having these lovely patients as fellow ward companions

We've been trying to think of positive things about saying goodbye to Noa. Rocket tells me he's relieved not to have his face inside her mouth for a good part of the day and hadn't  been that joyfull with her chewing his legs.

I suppose I can fill up the holes in the lawn and can now leave all my paperwork without the knowledge I'd find it shredded under the table. Just for fun I'm going to leave the delicious meal we'd prepared on the table, turn my back on it and find it still there.

Pocket had nothing positive to say because he was working on his latest novel Cat-22. Joseph Heller wrote that I told him but I could tell he wasn't interested






 
Rocket is now insisting he has to have a story read to him at bedtime as he 's finding it difficult sleeping on his own now.

But let's face it - none of these advantages can fill the enormous hole she has left.




Clearing

Do not try to save
the whole world
or do anything grandiose.
Instead, create
a clearing
in the dense forest
of your life
and wait there
patiently,
until the song
that is your life
falls into your own cupped hands
and you recognize and greet it.
Only then will you know
how to give yourself to this world
so worthy of rescue.

Martha Postlewaite

3 comments:

  1. Oh Cogs, what a gut wrenching post. We do feel for you. We wish Noa well in her new home and we wish you a swift recovery for your hip. Your heart might take a little longer xxx

    ReplyDelete
    Replies
    1. thank you Pippa for your kind words - yes she's definitely left a large hole in my heart and the home! xxx

      Delete