Tuesday 7 June 2022

the house of birds



It has been a month of birds inside and out. Outside I have put a feeding station by the kitchen window and find myself washing up -brush in hand - gazing out at all the birds who have discovered our running buffet. Prize bird at the moment is a spotted woodpecker who swings like a pendulum on the peanut feeder. I think he's secretly hypnotizing me. I've no idea where I've suddenly got so much time that I can watch them like a mother hen - proud of their achievements.


I used to spend a lot of time watching the runner ducks in the garden because they make me laugh. I didn't notice however one of them disappearing for twenty one days until one morning I went out and found her proudly leading a string of five ducklings behind her. It's a cruel world the world of ducks - one of our male ducks drowned his female consort mating with her and according to runner duck experts these ducklings would not survive with the other ducks who would more than likely trample on them. So we had to do what we've done before, we had to catch them and bring them inside under a heat lamp. She doesn't seem to have missed them but I worry.
Here are the first two we managed to catch inside someone's hat. Now they are running around in a big box on the table alongside the baby magpie. Oh yes - a teeny magpie which I've been hand feeding now for a week or so. To start with she lived in a bowl lined with fake furry packing stuff - now she's too big for the bowl and anyway needs to learn to use her legs. At the moment she has learnt to use her mouth and squawks whenever she sees me - usually for food.


Now you may be thinking one for sorrow. But fortunately I was given a slightly older magpie as well so we are two for joy. (This is in the shade tunnel and has just learnt to fly so I've let it out and it now sits on the gate watching the pigs. )I haven't told anyone in case they go oh we are back to one for sorrow now are we?

This is the baby also in someone's hat.

Pocket as you can imagine likes to hang out by the bird feeder incase he can sell any of them a Ponzi scheme.

Here is the very dangerous Rocket - as you can see from his snarling face all teeth and foam. Unfortunately he had a fight with a neighbour's dog and we have been reported to the dog warden. I thought it took two to fight but obviously I'm wrong. No one was hurt or injured in any way so telling on us to the Dog Warden seemed a bit extreme Did I hear someone say one for sorrow??



No sorrow here though - the sweet peas are beginning to flourish.
 

Magpies 
by W.H.Davies

 I have an orchard near my house,
Where poppies spread and corn has grown;
It is a holy place for weeds,
Where seeds stay on and flower, till blown.
Into this orchard, wild and quiet,
The Magpie comes, the Owl and Rook:
To see one Magpie is not well,
But seeing two brings all good luck.
If Magpies think the same, and say,
'Two humans bring good luck, not one' –
How they must cheer us, Love, together,
And tremble when I come alone!

No comments:

Post a Comment