Friday 24 January 2020

claws, caws and sore paws


Pixie wanted to be first on the first blog post of the year





She has reminded me that last year we didn't think she'd be with us this year due to her stupendous age (10 in three months time along with her sister Charlie and possibly several more from her litter) and the complications with her lady bits (her words not mine - I wouldn't be so coy)
Anyway she's still full of vim though not so much vigour as her back legs are giving her a bit of jip which she assures me is ipso facto (look it up)




Rocket posing for his happy new year photo which so far hasn't been so happy for him. The other day he went for a walk (err hum - a lurcher rarely walks anywhere) with his new friend Kit and managed to cut his pad on the treacherous flints that abound our fields. There was a lot of blood and he didn't want either me or the vet to wash it. He whimpered and wailed and hid his head under my arm and this was before anyone had even touched it. Yet when it came to the injection and he was told "This is going to hurt" he didn't flinch one bit. He now feels sorry for himself, mainly because of the silly boot he has to wear and for not being allowed to go for a walk.



Here is Pocket during a lull in the Christmas lunch proceedings. I think he thought we might be eating turkey.

Rocket feeling not so  happy new year.



I must be diligent this spring with the duck eggs - I've lost count how many ducks we have now. Here's a batch having their first water experience in the bath,


The rooks are cawing down the track - they'll be moving twigs soon and the jackdaws will be blocking up the chimneys again. A few years back a magnificent tiny (is this an oxymoron?) plastic soldier circa 1960 fell down the bedroom chimney followed by a few twigs and a feather. I was glad to see the chimney was well guarded though obviously not any more. I wrote a poem about it - see below.


Pocket doesn't spend all of his life lying down though a good part of it. He's difficult to photograph when on the move as I tried the other day capturing him on our walk. The picture was blurred. He likes to accompany us in the gloaming when we go on our evening outing. He trots along behind, his tail bolt upright giving little meowing noises to remind us he his still there.
And wisdom is a butterfly and not a gloomy bird of prey. I heard him chant. When questioned if he'd been reading WB Yeats he trotted past us, looked into the sky and told me to watch out for the buzzard.



I didn't have to ask Pixie for her interesting fact this time.  Oxymoron is Greek for pointedly foolish
she tells me. I'm sure she added that she thought that was what I was but when questioned she denied it and said did I know that garden snails had 14,000 teeth?



a reminder that soon all this too will flower




       Free as a Bird  (new government laws for birds on leaving the EU)




 The plastic sergeant guards
the jackdaw’s nest against
insurgents, cuckoos and the rest
of its kind.
Yes – the fear of terrorism
has crippled the bird world.

No eggs to be left unattended

Or they will be aborted
Birds can only fly with twigs
ten millimetres or shorter.
Nests must conform
to uniform nest size
No flamboyant features,
only utilise
sticks, feathers and torn up
copies of the Daily Mail.

Be suspicious of migrants
Don’t let them near you
If they’re not terrorists
they’ll be giving you bird flu.

And if you can find a plastic soldier
something supermundane
it might save your chimney
from being hit by a plane.


from my Dust Collection

No comments:

Post a Comment